Smartphones are user-friendly devices, but they can sometimes turn dangerous at times. Reports of smartphones catching fire and exploding are numerous. Now, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7S catching fire has been reported from a user in Mumbai. The user alleges Xiaomi, but the company says that the damage to the smartphone was "customer induced."
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7S Catches Fire
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7S that caught fire was reported by user Ishwar Chavhan, a resident of Mumbai. According to his Facebook post, Chavhan purchased the Redmi Note 7S from Flipkart back in October. Everything was fine with the smartphone till November 2, where he sensed a burning smell for the first time.
The Redmi 7S user further claims that the smartphone was neither put on charge nor was it dropped before, but suddenly caught fire. The smartphone was so badly burnt, Chavhan couldn't remove the SIM card from it. On contacting the Xiaomi store, the smartphone was called in for examination. After examining the burnt phone for five days, Xiaomi told the user that there was something wrong with the battery.
The burnt Redmi 7S user claims that there was a manufacturing defect with the device, the reason for catching fire. It's evident that Chavhan is clearly unhappy with the Redmi 7S smartphone and the service rendered by Xiaomi.
'Customer Induced Damage' Says Xiaomi
Xiaomi, on the other hand, has another story to tell about the Redmi 7S catching fire incident. In an email statement to Gadgets Now, the Chinese smartphone maker says that the damage was due to an external force. Xiaomi says in particular reference to the burnt Redmi 7S, "the damage was caused due to external force, and thus classified under 'customer induced damage''.
Over the years, we've heard plenty of stories of smartphones catching fire. This includes even flagship, expensive smartphones. It's hard to pinpoint and blame the user or the manufacturer, as incidents vary. There was an incident of a Xiaomi Mi A1 exploding while a user was playing PUBG. Worse, the Apple iPhone X caught fire and exploded during a firmware update.