There is a lot to be liked about Graphite India Limited (NSE:GRAPHITE) as an income stock. It has paid dividends over the past 10 years. The company is currently worth ₹184b, and now yields roughly 4.3%. Does Graphite India tick all the boxes of a great dividend stock? Below, I’ll take you through my analysis.
How I analyze a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is it the top 25% annual dividend yield payer?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has dividend per share risen in the past couple of years?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
Does Graphite India pass our checks?
The company currently pays out 11% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Going forward, analysts expect GRAPHITE’s payout to increase to 29% of its earnings, which leads to a dividend yield of around 6.4%. In addition to this, EPS should increase to ₹184.32. The higher payout forecasted, along with higher earnings, should lead to greater dividend income for investors moving forward.
When assessing the forecast sustainability of a dividend it is also worth considering the cash flow of the business. Companies with strong cash flow can sustain a higher payout ratio, while companies with weaker cash flow generally cannot.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Whilst its per-share payments have increased during the past 10 years, there has been some hiccups. Investors have seen reductions in the dividend per share in the past, although, it has picked up again.
In terms of its peers, Graphite India produces a yield of 4.3%, which is high for Electrical stocks.
Keeping in mind the dividend characteristics above, Graphite India is definitely worth considering for investors looking to build a dedicated income portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. Below, I’ve compiled three important aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for GRAPHITE’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for GRAPHITE’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is GRAPHITE worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether GRAPHITE is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.