WhatsApp Tips: How to clear WhatsApp cache when you are running low on phone memory
WhatsApp is arguably one of the most popular social messaging apps in the world. Every day millions of users exchange messages on WhatsApp in the form of text, videos, voice recordings, GIFs, stickers, location, documents and more. These files often end up taking a lot of space on our smartphones. And if you use the Facebook-owned social messaging app frequently and are actively involved in a number of groups, it can also lead to WhatsApp media files and documents increasingly filling up your phone memory.
This problem can be exacerbated if you are already running low on phone memory. Thankfully, WhatsApp offers you an easy technique using which you can delete media files and messages from not just the app's memory but also from the phone memory. This can help you free a lot of space on your smartphone, particularly, if you are running low on phone memory.
But here is a thing. This trick only works in case of Android smartphones and it won't work if you are using an iPhone. So, while you can free app space and iCloud space, you will have to manually delete the videos and messages from the Photos app of your iPhone, if you want to free your iPhone memory.
If you own an Android phone, here are steps you need to follow to clear WhatsApp media cache:
- Tap on three dots on the top right corner of the app.
- Tap on the Settings option.
- Now tap on Storage Usage option.
- Now you will see all your WhatsApp contacts in the order of the memory that they consume on your smartphone.
- Tap on a contact then tap on Free Up Space option.
- Now you will see a breakdown of files that you have shared with that contact along with the space that the contact is consuming.
- Select the data like images, videos and voice messages that you want to delete.
- Tap on Delete Items option.
- Tap on Clear Messages to confirm.
The videos and messages will automatically be deleted from the gallery.