The deadline for filing your income tax returns has been extended by the Central Board of Direct Taxes from July 31, 2018 to August 31, 2018 for AY 2018-19. It is a relief for taxpayers who haven’t still filed their returns. The process of e-filing, mandatory for individuals with income over Rs. 5 lakh, has made it convenient for taxpayers to file their returns. A login, protected by a password, needs to be created with the e-filing website to successfully file returns. But what if you forget the password? You can reset it by following the simple steps provided by the e-filing website.
If you have forgotten the password, click on the ‘Forgot Password’ tab, available on the right hand side of the e-filing website. It will direct you to a page where you would be required to enter your login ID and captcha code to reset your password.
Once done, the registered user will get four options to reset their passwords. Do remember it is a mandatory step to enter your login ID and captcha code to reset your password.
- Answer Secret Question: In case, you want to use this option, select the same from the drop down menu and click the continue button. You will be then required to enter your date of birth/incorporation from the calendar given. You will then have to select the secret question from the drop down option available and enter the secret answer to submit. If the answer entered is correct, you can enter the new password and confirm it before submitting the click button. You will get a message about password changed successfully.
- Upload Digital Signature Certificate (DSC): In case you want to use this option after adding your ID and captcha, you can select any one of the two options provided – New DSC or Registered DSC. After this the taxpayer must upload the signature file generated using DSC management utility and click on the validate button. The DSC is validated. After this you can enter and reconfirm your new password for use.
- Using OTP: For users preferring this option, they will have to select from the options mentioned – Registered Email ID and Mobile Number or New email ID and mobile number
Steps For Registered Email ID and Mobile Number
You will have to click on the ‘validate’ option in case you use this method to change your password. Once you click on ‘Validate’, separate PINs would be sent on your registered user name and password. The PINs must be entered in the required field to validate and reset your password for login and filing your returns.
Steps For New email ID and mobile number
If you go for this option, you will have to first enter your email ID and mobile number along with one of the options mentioned below. This is only applicable if you have e-filed previously.
- 26AS TAN: the TAN of the deductor needs to be added.
- OLTAS CIN – Taxpayer should mention the BSR Code, Challan Date and Challan Identification number (CIN) as available in 26AS.
- Bank Account Number – The bank account number as mentioned in the income tax return should be entered.
It is important to note that you can enter details as per e-filed returns from AY2014-15 onwards.
Once the above mentioned details are added, the validation process is same as the registered email ID and mobile number. The PINs received on your email ID and mobile number should be added to the required fields to validate and reset password. After the password is reset, you need to login with new password within the time specified in communication.
An email along with a link for ‘Cancellation for the password reset request’ will be shared to your registered email and new email ID. In case you have not authorised password reset, then you can click on the cancellation link provided within 12 hours. You will have to provide Date of Birth and PAN details for validation and before aborting the password reset request.
- Using Aadhaar OTP: As a pre-requisite, your Aadhaar number should be linked with your mobile number and PAN. If you use this option to reset your password, you will be redirected to page to confirm your Aadhaar number and then click on ‘generate OTP option.’ An OTP will be generated and sent to the registered mobile number. Use this OTP and click on the validate button. Once successfully validated, enter the new password and reconfirm it. After the password has changed, use it to login.
Therefore, by following the options provided by the Income Tax Department website, you can reset your passwords smoothly.