Compiling the definitive list of the who's who of a country as diverse as India is not easy. Yet, the influence these industrialists and entrepreneurs have over the economy and business extends beyond well their designations and projects.
Check out the methodology of how the list was compiled at the end of this piece.
1. Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani (born April 19, 1957) is an Indian billionaire business magnate, and the chairman, managing director and largest shareholder of Reliance Industries Ltd.
2. Gautam Shantilal Adani (born June 24, 1962) is an Indian billionaire industrialist who is the chairman and founder of the Adani Group, an Ahmedabad-based multinational conglomerate.
3. Anand Gopal Mahindra (born May 1, 1955) is an Indian billionaire businessman, and the chairman of Mahindra Group, a Mumbai-based business conglomerate.
4. Shaktikanta Das (born February 26, 1957) is a retired 1980 batch Indian Administrative Service officer. He is currently serving as the 25th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
5. Ratan Naval Tata (born December 28, 1937) is an Indian industrialist, philanthropist, and a former chairman of Tata Sons.
6. Adar Poonawalla (born January 14, 1981) is the chief executive officer of Serum Institute of India. Founded in 1966 by his father, Dr Cyrus Poonawalla, it is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer by number of doses produced.
7. Roshni Nadar Malhotra (born 1982) is an Indian businesswoman, the chairperson of HCL Technologies and the first woman to lead a listed IT company in India. She is the only child of HCL founder, Shiv Nadar.
8. Ram Kisan Yadav (born 1965), popularly called Baba Ramdev, is an Indian yoga guru known for his work in Ayurveda, business, and agriculture. He co-founded the Patanjali Ayurved Ltd. with his colleague Balkrishna. Balkrishna, known as Acharya Balkrishna, (born 1972) is an Indian billionaire businessman and chairman of Patanjali Ayurved.
9. Kumar Mangalam Birla (born June 14, 1967) is an Indian billionaire industrialist, and the chairman of the Aditya Birla Group, one of the largest conglomerates in India.
10. Byju Raveendran (born 1981) is an Indian billionaire. He founded Byju's classes in 2011 and has a net worth of $1.9 billion.
Note: Personalities in this list have been recognised on the basis of their influence over the nation’s economy, the industrial and business infrastructure, the government and its policies, their fans, employees and people, in general, and also the change they have brought about.
The final list was compiled by Yahoo editors taking into account the aforementioned points and also factors such as the social media influence these personalities wield, their popularity, their impact on the society, their newsworthiness, their net worth, the general power they possess to make things happen, and readers’ polls.
This list looks at the ‘10 most influential business leaders in India’. Other lists will rank entertainers, sportspeople, politicians, media-persons and those from the civil society.
Look out for these in the coming days. Like all such rankings, these too are subjective and open to debate.