Indian Railways goes whole hog on ‘Make in India’! Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to launch at least three new Indian Railways ‘Make in India’ projects in the coming weeks. Ahead of this massive launch, the different zonal railway networks have also been asked to prepare their major achievements within a month so that the projects can be presented in a systematic manner, reported PTI. From flagging off the all-new engine-less Vande Bharat Express to Indian Railways first diesel locomotive converted to electric, here are the three big projects which will be launched under PM Modi s Make in India initiative soon:
1. Vande Bharat Express or Train 18
- PM Modi will flag off the much awaited Train 18 or Vande Bharat Express on February 15 from the New Delhi Railway Station. The train was manufactured in just 18 months by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai.
- The Vande Bharat Express is India’s first engine-less train and will travel from Delhi to Varanasi in its first run.
It is the country s fastest self-propelled train at a speed of 180 kmph and is expected to replace the Shatabdi Express trains on the Indian Railways network.
- The Vande Bharat Express will consist of 16 coaches with Chair Car type configuration, having 14 Chair Car coaches and 2 Executive Class Chair Car coaches.
The train provided with State of the Art passenger amenities such as on-board wifi entertainment, GPS based passenger information system, CCTV cameras, bio-vacuum toilets, rotating chairs in executive class etc.
2. Indian Railways first ever diesel locomotive converted into electric – world record created
- On February 19, PM Modi will flag off Indian Railways’ first-ever converted-locomotive in a major event at Varanasi. A diesel locomotive has for the first time been been converted into electric traction during its midlife rehabilitation.
This conversion has enhanced the power of the locomotive from 2600 horsepower (HP) to 5000 horsepower.
- In a record time of 69 days, from conceptualization to execution, the locomotive was converted by the Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW) in Varanasi.
- The cost-effective conversion is also in line with Indian Railways environment-friendly move of 100% electrification along its network.
The work on the project started on December 22, 2017 and the new locomotive was dispatched on February 28, 2018. In the flagging off event, the locomotive will travel to Ludhiana.
3. New railway line connecting Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi in Tamil Nadu:
- On February 27, PM Modi will lay the foundation stone for the new broad gauge railway line connecting Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi in Tamil Nadu, according to a PTI report. This Indian Railways line, which was destroyed in a cyclone in 1964, had remained unattended since then.
- It is a 17-kilometre long broad gauge line from Rameswaram island to Dhanushkodi, and will re-establish rail connectivity to provide pilgrims with an easy accessibility to travel to the holy town.
Dhanushkodi is the starting point of Ram Setu and is said to have holy significance.
- In the 1964 cyclone, the town was completely destroyed and hundreds of lives were lost, including that of train passengers on the Dhanushkodi-bound train as it had been completely wiped off by the cyclone and tidal waves.
The line connecting the two major pilgrim destinations will be built at a cost of Rs 208 crore.