India Markets closed

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 14, rescue operations continue overnight

1 / 1

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 14, rescue operations continue overnight

The death toll in the building collapse at Mumbai's Dongri has reached 14. Rescue operations are on.

The death toll in the Mumbai building collapse has reached 14, the NDRF said on Wednesday morning even as the rescue and search operation continued through the night.

"National Disaster Response Force (NDRF): Death toll rises to 14 in the Kesarbhai building collapse incident," tweeted ANI on Wednesday morning.

This is a second such collapse around Mumbai in less than ten days.

National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) battalion PRO, meanwhile, told PTI that the search and rescue operation continued the whole night and was still on.

"It (search and rescue operations) will go on till the last piece of rubble is not removed from the spot," he said.

The official said his team members had been told that there were few customers at an eatery situated in the ground floor and no one knew the exact numbers. "So our job is still left to rescue those men," he said.

Mumbai fire brigade chief P S Rahangdale said two kids, one aged between six-eight and the other aged about four, were rescued from under the debris by the firefighters.

"Both kids were sent to Sir JJ hospital in 108 Ambulance, but they were declared dead," Rahangdale said, adding one fireman was also injured in the line of duty.

TOLL LIKELY TO RISE

An official from the BMC disaster management cell said three more bodies had been recovered early on Wednesday morning and had been sent to a nearby hospital, and awaiting doctors report about them.

"The death toll likely to up further," he said. The state government, has so far, not announced compensation to the victims.

TRAGIC TUESDAY

A dilapidated building in Mumbai's Dongri area collapsed taking down over 10-12 families along with it on Tuesday. Rescue workers have pulled out 14 bodies so far.

The collapse was reported by locals around 11.40 am on Tuesday. Around 20 hours later, rescue efforts are on as many are still feared trapped below the mound of debris.

The building was unauthorised and officials of the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) have said the structure was not under its supervision.

READ | Mumbai building collapse: How a teenager pulled out trapped residents before NDRF arrived

WATCH | Four-storey building collapses in Mumbai, over 40 trapped