Chandrababu Naidu to spend Rs 60 lakh on hotels for TDP supporters during Delhi protest
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has once again made it into news for his exorbitant protests and according to India Today's calculations, Naidu will spend at least a little over Rs 60 lakh to accommodate his party leaders and supporters in Delhi. All this just to make sure they attend his day long protest on Monday.
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief Naidu will hold a protest against the central government's decision to scrap special category status without awarding it to the state of Andhra Pradesh.
India Today accessed a letter with details of accommodation arrangements made by the government for the convenience of over 2,500 people related to the party, either as leaders or supporters.
Twenty six ministers, 127 MLAs, 41 MLCs, 15 chairmen, 150 general body members and 2,000 supporters and whips will attend Naidu's protest in Delhi. Their accommodation has already been taken care of by the government.
Here's the breakdown according to our calculations:
- Total cost for accommodating 26 ministers in Hotel Royal Plaza [Rs 6216 * 13 (double occupancy)]: Rs Rs 2,42,424
- Accommodation for 127 MLAs and 41 MLCs at Hotel Surya [Rs 8960*84 (double occupancy) *3 (days)]: Rs 2,016,960
- YMCA accommodation for 41 MLCs + 15 chairmen: [Rs 2800*28 (double occupancy) * 3]: Rs 2,35,200
- Stay for 150 general body members at Hotel Southern [Rs 2,676.6*75 (double occupancy)* 2]: Rs 3,59,073.6
- Accommodation for 2000 supporters at Oyo Pahar Ganj [Rs 1680* 1000(double occupancy) * 2]: Rs 3,000,180
- Kurzon hostel (150 people) : data not available yet.
- Total estimated expenditure only on accommodation: Rs 58, 53, 837
(The calculation has been done assuming the fact that the government has booked double occupancy rooms using the minimum price quotation given by the respective hotels.)
Rooms in multiple hotels across the national capital have been booked for Naidu's loyalists in TDP including Hotel Surya and Hotel Royal Plaza.
Previously, the TDP chief was attacked for spending a little over Rs 1 crore 12 lakhs to transport his supporters from Andhra Pradesh to Delhi, for the same event. Two trains have been arranged for the same.
PM Narendra Modi who visited Andhra Pradesh on Sunday was also seen attacking Naidu over the same. The PM went on to say that Chandra Babu Naidu was going to Delhi to do a photo op by using the money of the people of the state. Multiple leaders in the state were also seen raising the same question on multiple occasions.
This at a time when anganwadi workers across the state claim that they haven't been paid their dues for the past three months and at a time when the AP government itself has been complaining about the lack of funds.