India markets closed
  • BSE SENSEX

    52,474.76
    +174.29 (+0.33%)
     
  • Nifty 50

    15,799.35
    +61.60 (+0.39%)
     
  • USD/INR

    73.2370
    +0.1370 (+0.19%)
     
  • Dow

    34,479.60
    +13.36 (+0.04%)
     
  • Nasdaq

    14,069.42
    +49.09 (+0.35%)
     
  • BTC-INR

    2,607,996.25
    +23,847.50 (+0.92%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    924.19
    -17.62 (-1.87%)
     
  • Hang Seng

    28,842.13
    +103.25 (+0.36%)
     
  • Nikkei

    28,948.73
    -9.83 (-0.03%)
     
  • EUR/INR

    88.4391
    -0.5864 (-0.66%)
     
  • GBP/INR

    103.1023
    -0.5207 (-0.50%)
     
  • AED/INR

    19.8950
    +0.0360 (+0.18%)
     
  • INR/JPY

    1.4944
    +0.0020 (+0.13%)
     
  • SGD/INR

    55.2520
    +0.0120 (+0.02%)
     

A good way to determine financial stability by retirement

·3-min read
Senior Indian/asian couple arranging/staking coins pile in a row, selective focus
Senior Indian/asian couple arranging/staking coins pile in a row, selective focus

There is no hard and fast rule on how much money you must save by the time you retire. Life is a journey where your goals and objectives change, including your financial obligations. Nobody is too young or too old to start saving money.

Yet, a person’s age is an effective guide point to start saving. If one considers age as a metric to assess your savings, how much should you have saved by the time you are fifty so that you can retire soon? The answer depends on a lot of factors like lifestyle, obligations, goals, dreams and ambitions.

In some countries, people retire early, and in other countries, people work well into their old age. If that’s the case, nobody else can tell you what’s best for you, but your experience in making money. There’s no harm in starting to save money regardless.

The woman hand is putting a coin in a glass  bottle and a pile of coins on a brown wooden table,Investment business, retirement, finance and saving money for future concept.
The woman hand is putting a coin in a glass bottle and a pile of coins on a brown wooden table,Investment business, retirement, finance and saving money for future concept.

Assuming that at twenty, most people are still studying, there is still room to save the little money that comes by.

Not every 20-year-old would venture out into the open and secure a paying job. Generally, a 30-year-old has a lot more responsibilities on their shoulder. By 30, you should have saved at least 50% of your annual salary, according to the Business Standard.

This is a good practice to counter emergencies that come your way as people grow older and start a family life, priorities change and circumstances too. Having that extra savings can be helpful in the long run.

By the time a professional is 40, they probably have a better paying job. The experience gathered as a working professional, businessman or somebody pursuing their dream, is valuable.

If you haven’t already figured out the ideal savings or set up multiple streams of revenue, don’t worry. There is plenty of time before retirement.

Just keep working and dedicate time to figuring out the ideal savings plan that matches your lifestyle.

Adoption and family housing concept. Cutout paper house in hands of african american family over white bed sheet background. Closeup, panorama
Adoption and family housing concept. Cutout paper house in hands of african american family over white bed sheet background. Closeup, panorama

By the time you’re 50 people are likely to invest in a house, a mutual fund scheme, a loan or any other trap that comes their way.

Remember, 77% of Indians don’t save for retirement, while the other 23% manage to make retirement the safe haven as advertised. By the time a person is 50, they should have ideally accumulated wealth in the form of assets, people, places and things.

At this age, expenses may not seem as lavish as they once were. Ultimately, people can always push for a few more years of work before hanging the cape. If one saves 15% of their pre-tax income every year of work-life, by the time they reach the age of 65, they would have enough to live a peaceful life.

As the popular line goes, a stitch in time saves nine and age is just another number.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.