Travelling abroad, especially for a vacation is always exciting. It can however turn into a nightmare if you lose your passport during a vacation. A passport after all is the most important document during your overseas travel.
So here is a low down on what you can do and how a Travel Insurance policy can come to your rescue in such a situation:
- When you lose your passport, don’t lose time and register a complaint immediately with the concerned authorities to avoid misuse. Do keep a copy of the complaint registered.
- Inform the consulate about the lost passport and do the formalities needed to apply for a new passport.
- Some companies while buying online insurance offer benefits in terms of compensation. Be aware of the relevant documents and formalities.
- Once you are back in India, do inform your travel insurance provider about the lost passport with supporting documents for reimbursements if any.
- This should include a covering letter that should mention steps taken to obtain a temporary passport along with return tickets, a duplicate of original passport, original bills, receipt, invoices etc.
Some do’s before you leave the country
- Do keep an online record of your passport number
- Keep a record of the consulate numbers in the countries you are travelling
- Keep a record of your travel insurance details
- Keep a photocopy of your original passport and carry some extra IDs to deal with urgencies.